Salvator Mundi, Latin for Saviour of the World, is a subject in iconography depicting Christ with his right hand raised in blessing and his left hand holding an orb surmounted by a cross, known as a globus cruciger, symbolizing the Earth.
Salvator Mundi by Andrea Previtali
by Raphael Sanzio
by Carlo Crivelli
by Antonello da Messina
by Giovanni Belini
Leonardo da Vinci’s “Salvator Mundi” (below) will go on auction on November 15 and is reportedly the last painting by the Renaissance artist in private hands. It is one of fewer than 20 paintings by Leonardo.
Doménikos Theotokópoulos “El Greco” (1541-1614).
Robert Campin (Master of Flemalle) (c.1375-1444).
According to the Book of Miracles (Augsburg Book of Miraculous Signs), mid 16th Century.
If you want to know more, click HERE.
by Leonardo da Vinci (below)
by Paolo Veronese
by Jacopo Bassano
by Phillipe de Champaigne
by Dieric Bouts the Elder
by Dood van Maria
by James Tissot
by Valentin de Boulogne
by Peter Paul Rubens
by Pietro Peruggino
by Domenico Ghirlandaio
by Lucas Cranach
by Duccio di Buoninsegna
by Francesco Fontebasso
by El Greco
by Hans Holbein the Younger
by Fra Angelico
Gerard David (c.1460-1523).
Lorenzo Lotto (1480-1556/57).
Plautilla Nelli (1524-1588).
Suor Plautilla Nelli was born into a noble Florentine family. She entered the convent of Santa Caterina di Siena in Florence (which taught painting and sculpting of terracotta figures) in 1538, at the age of 14, and eventually became its prioress, several times.
The convent (now destroyed), located in Piazza San Marco, was supposedly annexed into the Galleria dell’Accademia in 1853 and was briefly part of the Accademia delle Belle Arti. According to noted Nelli expert, Catherine Turrill, many of the nuns at Santa Caterina were daughters of Florentine artisans, and the convent was unrivaled throughout Italy for the ‘number and significance’ of its nun-artists.
Waverley Abbey was the first Cistercian abbey in England. It was founded in 1128 by William Giffard, Bishop of Winchester.
In July 1201 the abbey was flooded “and all but carried away” by a storm which caused the abbey’s crops to fail. The abbey was rebuilt during the 13th-century, and much of the remains visible today date from this period.
The site was excavated by the Surrey Archaeological society between 1890 and 1903, and the ruins restored in 1966. (Photo below: 1895).